Saturday, January 5, 2019

A Danger to Herself and Others by Alyssa Sheinmel

Publish: February 5, 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire
Genres: YA, Suspense, Mental Illness

👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Description:
Four walls. One window. No way to escape. Hannah knows there's been a mistake. She didn't need to be institutionalized. What happened to her roommate at her summer program was an accident. As soon as the doctors and judge figure out that she isn't a danger to herself or others, she can go home to start her senior year. In the meantime, she is going to use her persuasive skills to get the staff on her side.

Then Lucy arrives. Lucy has her own baggage. And she may be the only person who can get Hannah to confront the dangerous games and secrets that landed her in confinement in the first place.



Review:

"Time didn't magically slow down, giving me a few extra seconds to consider what to do next. It happened fast. it wasn't graceful. It didn't look pretty."

The title and cover drew me in perfectly and since its around Halloween time I just had to read this book. I gratefully received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my review.

I absolutely loved Hannah! But who wouldn't, that's her thing.. making best friends. As an only child I can relate with Hannah about growing up faster than your friends and the need/want for children your age. As an only child, its easy to come across as more mature because a majority of your conversations are with adults so its something that comes easy to you.

Sheinmel, played this story out perfectly. I was not not expecting any of the twists and turns that were thrown in. This book was impossible to put down. I loved every second of it. I have never experienced anyone close to me with this kind of mental illness or anything similar so this was a learning experience for me. Sheinmel really made me feel like I was sitting in the room with Hannah and Lucy.. I mean Hannah ;)

I was proud of Hannah and how she accepted her illness. It was sad and brought tears to my eyes when she finally started to understand what was happening. Her parents were very abnormal for parents dealing with a child who was sick but they were also kind of strange before she started her illness, who leaves a four year old in a hotel room by themselves.

This book was perfectly done and I will definitely be telling everyone about this title!


No comments:

Post a Comment